Thursday, August 11, 2011

Once again in Indonesia - Bromo

With the constrain of Time, Money and Energy; there are not many places that I usually “revisit”. Not to mention that the world is so big that there are many places that I would like to travel to, so I save all the three most important factors for those that I have never visit before. However, for my first time view of this magnificent “Bromo” in the mist of dawn 5 year before, I promise myself that I will someday come back to visit it again.

(Link to my Bromo previous trip)

We fly to Surabaya where a rental car company is waiting and give us a drive to Tosari, a small village. Tosari is on the northwest of the caldera. From there we rent a 4WD to take us to the “Penanjakan” view point.


Though for a second time traveller, Bromo is still a breathtaking site. Bromo, of which entire top has been blown off and the crater inside constantly belches white sulphurous smoke, is still smouldering. Late last year and beginning of this year, it volcanic ash and incandescent material was thrown up by eruptive activity with a heavy rain of ejected volcanic material falling around the crater.




The caldera or The Sea of Sand where our 4WD will drive across to take us as close as possible to the base of the mount.


From the car parking, there are another 3 km to walk to the top of the crater. One can either walk or ride a horse for ¾ of the trail and then dismount and walk further, and finally climb the 250 steep steps to the edge.


Pathway leading to the top


View from the top - You can see where the Hindu temple and parking line are situated. Don’t ask me how many times that I have to stop on the way up.





View into the Mount Bromo crater.

No comments:

 
eXTReMe Tracker